Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chase Kids Wish List for 2010

Ok, we have to start with a confession here. I have, in the past, put too many things on the kids' wish lists. Some of it has been things they have asked for, and some of it has been cool toys and games that I thought it would be fun to have. I now repent of that mistake.

Aside from all the loot obtained at school, church, dance class, and girl scout Christmas parties, Santa visited the Chase children no fewer than 5 separate times. Each time with an amount of presents that would in themselves be a satisfying and prosperous Christmas haul.

Unfortunately, getting everything they want has made them overwhelmed, ungrateful, and entitled. I have heard constant complaints of, "There's nothing to do," or "All my toys are boring," and I have to resist the urge to shovel everything they do have out the window.

Also, I noticed that it is the smaller, simpler things that the kids play with anyway. The wooden puzzles purchased at the dollar store have gotten a lot of mileage this year, as have the $2 microphones, the sugary cereals, and the magnifying glasses (a big hit, auntie, thanks!), and the Barbie toothbrush.

Therefore, changes have got to be made.

There will be a significant toy purge this spring (maybe in time for Baby Mania!) and some toys will be put away for future use, and some will be sold or given away. In addition, I am asking the following of our friends and family, and I am asking it early because I know some of you shop all year long:
  1. NO TOYS FOR CHRISTMAS. You heard me right. Santa will select an appropriate toy for each of the children, but we are asking that extended family (i.e. grandparents, step-families, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) not purchase ANY toys for the kids. Appropriate gifts may be small useful/sentimental things such as Christmas ornaments, fun toothbrushes, socks/underwear/pj's, books, oversized paper for painting etc. Any toys received beyond what Mom & Dad have decided they should get will immediately be given to charity.
  2. For birthdays, please limit your giving to one gift/toy per child. Add up all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends, and they will no doubt have a very happy birthday.
  3. If you feel that your holidays will not be complete without spending money on the children, feel free to give them cash or gift cards, and we will use that opportunity to teach them about saving up for something they really want.
We are not doing this to offend our families. You have all been so generous to us all every year. We just feel the need to simplify things. In giving the children fewer "things" this year, we are hoping they will better appreciate just how blessed they truly are.

No comments: